Name: Ren-sen Zeng Sex: Male
Position: Professor in Ecology at South China Agricultural University
Institute of Tropical & Subtropical Ecology
College of Agriculture
South China Agricultural University
Wushan, Guangzhou, 510642 P.R. China
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Phone: 86-20-38604978, 13316105758
Professor of Ecology, College of Agriculture, South China Agricultural University (SCAU)
Executive Committee Member of International Allelopathy Society. Member of International Ecological Society, Entomology Society of America, Ecological Society of China, and Chinese Society of Agronomy
Secretary of Asian Allelopathy Society
Editorial Board Member of Journal of Chemical Ecology
Regional Editor of Allelopathy Journal
New Century Excellent Talent in University of China
Secretary of National Teaching Consultative Committee for Agricultural Resource and Environment
National Level Excellent Scientist in Guangdong “Thousand-Hundred-Ten” Talent Project
Sep.1996-Nov.2000 Ph.D. South China Agricultural University Specialty: Ecology
Sep.1988-Jun.1991 M.S. South China Agricultural University Specialty: Ecology
Sep.1981-Jun.1985 B.S. Jiangxi Agricultural University Specialty: Agronomy
RESEARCH AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Jul. 1991-Present Faculty in the Institute of Tropical and Tropical Ecology, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou, China
Jul. 1993-Nov. 1999 Assistant Professor
Jul. 1999-Nov. 2003 Associate Professor
Apr. 2001-Feb.2002: Visiting scholar, Department of Biology, Lakehead University, Canada.
Feb. 2005-Aug. 2006 Visiting scholar, Department of Entomology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA.
A. Chemical Ecology for graduates
B. Ecology, Evolutional Ecology and Agroecology for undergraduate students
Agroecology is the National Model Course for Bilingual Teaching
A. Plant-insect chemical interactions
B. Plant-microbe chemical interactions
D. Insect resistance and P450s
Refereed Journal Articles
(1) *Zeng, R. S., Niu G, Wen Z, Schuler MA, Berenbaum MR. Allelochemical induction of cytochrome P450 monooxygenases and amelioration of xenobiotic toxicity in Helicoverpa zea. Journal of Chemical Ecology. 2007.33(3): 449-461.
(2) Bi H. H., *Zeng R S, Su L M, An M., Luo, S. M. Rice allelopathy induced by methyl jasmonate and methyl salicylate. Journal of Chemical Ecology. 2007. 33(5): 1089-1103 .
(3) Liu Y H, *Zeng, R. S., Chen S. Liu D, Luo S M, Wu H, An M. Plant autotoxicity research in southern China. Allelopathy Journal. 2007. 19(1)：61-74..
(4) Bi H. H., Song Y.Y., *Zeng R S. Biochemical and molecular responses of host plants to mycorrhizal infection and their roles in plant defence. Allelopathy Journal. 2007. 20(1)：15-28.
(5) Yao Q, Zhu H H, Zeng R S. Role of phenolic compounds in plant defence Induced by arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Allelopathy Journal. 2007. 20(1)：1-14.
(6) *Zeng, R. S., Niu, G., Wen, Z., Schuler, M. A., and Berenbaum, M. R. 2006. Toxicity of aflatoxin B1 to Helicoverpa zea and bioactivation by cytochrome P450 monooxygenases. Journal of Chemical Ecology. 32:1459-1471..
(7) Zeng, R. S., Mallik A U. Selected ectomycorrhizal fungi of black spruce (Picea mariana) can detoxify phenolic compounds of Kalmia angustifolia. Journal of Chemical Ecology. 2006 ，32：1473-1489.
(8) Liu Y H, *Zeng, R. S., Liu D L, Luo S M, Wu H W and AN M. Modelling dynamics of plant defence volatiles using the An-Liu-Johnson-Lovett model. Allelopathy Journal. 2006, 18(2)：215-224.
(9) Nie, C.R., Luo, S.M., Lin, C.X., Zeng, R. S., Li, H.S. Status of DIMBOA and phenolic acids in Bt transgenic corns. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research. 2005,56(8): 833-837.
(10) *Zeng R S, Mallik A U, and Setliff E. Growth stimulation of ectomycorrhizal fungi by root exudates of Brassicaceae plants: role of degraded compounds of indole glucosinolates. Journal of Chemical Ecology. 2003，29(6):1337-1355.
(11) An M, *Zeng R S, JOHNSON I R, and LOVETT J V. Modelling aeration effects on plant residue allelopathy. Allelopathy Journal. 2003, 11(2):195-200.
(12) *Zeng R S, Luo S M, Shi M B. Allelopathy of Aspergillus japonicus SAITO on crops. Agronomy Journal .2001. 93(1):60-64.
(13) *Zeng R S, Luo S M, Shi Y H. Physiological and biochemical mechanism of allelopathy of secalonic acid F on higher plants. Agronomy Journal .2001. 93(1):72-79.
(14) Li, G.X., Zeng, R.S. *, et al. (2008). Allelopathic effects of decaying Italian ryegrass (Lolium mutiflorum Lam.residues on rice. Allelopathy Journal. 22): 15-24.
(15) Cai, K; Gao, D., Luo, S., Zeng, R.S., Yang, J., Zhu, X. (2008). Physiological and cytological mechanisms of silicon induced resistance in rice against blast disease. Physiologia Plantarum. 134: 324–333.
(16) Niu, G., Wen, Z., Rupasinghe, S., Zeng, R.S., Berenbaum, M.R. & Schuler, M.A. (2008). Aflatoxin B1 detoxification by CYP321A1 in Helicoverpa zea. Archives of Insect Biochemistry and Physiology. 69):32-45.
(17) Zhu-Salzman K. and Zeng, R.S. (2008). Molecular mechanisms of insect adaptation to plant defense – Lessons learned from a Bruchid beetle. Insect Science, 15, 477-481.
(18) Wen, Z., Zeng, R.S., Niu, G., Berenbaum, M.R. & Schuler, M.A. (2009). Ecological Significance of Induction of Broad-Substrate Cytochrome P450s by Natural and Synthetic Inducers in Helicoverpa zea. Journal of Chemical Ecology. 35: 183-189 (第一、二作者同等贡献).
(19) Chen M, Zhou J.R., Li C.Y., Song Y.Y., Xie L.J., Chen S. and *Zeng R.S. Isolation, identification and bioactivity of allelochemicals of Streptomyces sp. strain 6803. Allelopathy Journal, 2009, 23(2)：411-424.
(20) Zeng, R.S., Wen, Z., Niu, G., Berenbaum, M.R. & Schuler, M.A. (2009).Enhanced Toxicity and Induction of Cytochrome P450s Suggest a Cost of "Eavesdropping" in a Multitrophic Interaction. Journal of Chemical Ecology. 35: 526-532.
(21) Wang R L, Peng S L, Zeng R S, Ding L W and Xu Z F. 2009. Cloning, expression and wounding induction of β-caryophyllene synthase gene from Mikania micrantha H.B.K. and allelopathic potential of β-caryophyllene. Allelopathy Journal, 2009, 24(1)：35-44.
(22) Liu Y H, Liu D L, An M., Fu Y L, *Zeng, R. S., Luo S M, Wu H W and Pratley J. Modelling tritrophic interactions mediated by induced defence volatiles. Ecological Modelling. 2009. in press.
(23) Le M W, Chen S., Pan Q. H., Zeng R S, Luo S M. Induced expression of signaling pathway and defense-related genes in interaction between rice and Magnaporthe grisea. ACTA PHYTOPATHOLOGICA SINICA. 2007. 37(1): 42-44.
(24) Jiang G. B., Zeng R. S. Allelopathic potentials of volatiles from Artemisia lavandulaefolia DC. Prodr. Ecologic Science 2006, 25(2):106-108.
(25) Huang J. H., Zeng R S, Luo S. M. Studies on disease resistance of maize toward sheath blight induced by arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Chinese J. Applied Eco-Agriculture. 2006. 14(3): 167-169.
(26) Liu Y H, Xie L., Luo S M., Chen S., Zeng, R. S. Allelopathy of invasive weeds :A simulation study with cellular automata model. Chinese J. Applied Ecology. 2006 ,17 (2) :229-232
(27) Nie C L, Shi M L, Zeng R S.2004. Allelopathic Potentials of Wedelia trilo, bata L on Rice. ACTA AGRONOMICA SINICA. 30(9):942-946 (in Chinese).
(28) Zeng R S, S M Luo, Y H Shi. 2004. Allelopathic effects of secalonic acid F produced by Aspergillus japonicus SAITO on Zea mays L Chinese J. Applied Ecology. 15(1):145-148 (in Chinese)
(29) Nie C L, M L Shi, R S Zeng.2004. Research advance in cyclic hydroxamic acids, main allelochemical of Zea mays. Chinese J. Applied Ecology. 15(6):1079-1082 (in Chinese)
(30) Zeng R S, S M Luo, M B Shi. 2003. Allelopathic potentials of Aspergillus japonicus on higher plants affected by nutrients and environmental conditions. J. South China Agri. Univ. 24(1):42-46. (in Chinese)
(31) Lin J, Zeng R S, Shi M B. 2003. Allelopathic effects of fermented mycelia and broth ofPisolithus tinctorius on sveral higher plants. J. South China Agri. Univ. 24(3): 50-52 (in Chinese)
(32) Lin J, Zeng R S, Shi M B. 2003. Allelopathic Effects of Eucalyptus urophylla and Pinus elliottii on Pisolithus tinctorius. J. South China Agri. Univ. 24(2): 48-50 (in Chinese)
(33) Nie C L, Zeng R S, Shi M L.2003. Allelopathic Potentials of Wedelia trilobata L on Brassica parachinensis and its physiological mechanism of action. J. South China Agri. Univ. 24(4): 106-107 (in Chinese)
(34) Huang J H, Shi M L, Zeng R S. 2003. Mechanism of plant disease resistance induced by arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Chinese J. Applied Ecology. 14(5):819-822 (in Chinese)
(35) Huang J H, Zeng R S, Li H S. 2002. The Application of HPLC in chemical ecology and environmental monitor. J Guangxi Agri. Biol. Science. 21(4): 284-288 (in Chinese).
(36) Nie C L, Zeng R S, et al. 2002. P hysiological and biochemical mechanism of Allelopathy of Wedelia trilobata L on peanut. J Peanut Science. 31(3):1-5 (in Chinese).
(37) Huang J H, Zeng R S,et al. 2002. Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi, a biofertilizer of the future. Ecological Science. 21(3):259-263 (in Chinese).
(38) Huang J H, Zeng R S,et al. 2002. Plant allelopathy and its recent development. J Foshan Univ. 19(4):61-65 (in Chinese).
(39) Zeng R S, M B Shi, S M Luo.1998. Phytotoxicity of metabolites of Trichoderma viride. Chinese J. Applied Ecology. 9(1):64-66. (in Chinese).
(40) Zeng R S, S M Luo, M B Shi.1999. Allelopathy of Pisolithus tinctorius fruitbodies and isolation and identification of allelochemicals. Chinese J. Applied Ecology. 10(2):206-208. (in Chinese)
(41) Zeng R S.1999. Review on bioassay methods for allelopathy research. Chinese J. Applied Ecology. 10(1):123-126. (in Chinese)
(42) Zeng R S, et. al. 1997. Allelopathic effects of Eucalytus exserta and E. urophylla. J. South China Agri. Univ. 18(1): 6-10. (in Chinese)
(43) Wei Q, R S Zeng , et al. 1997. The isolation and identification of allelochemicals from aerial parts of Tropical Ageratum. Acta Phytoecologica Sinica. 21(4): 360-366. (in Chinese)
(44) Zeng R S, S M Luo et. al.. 1996. Allelopathic potential of Wedelia chinensis and its allelochemicals. Acta Ecologica Sinica. 16(1):20-27. (in Chinese)
(45) Luo S M, Lin X L, Zeng R S et. al. 1995. Allelopathy of typical plants in agroecosystem of South China. Chinese Ecology Science. 7(2): 114-128. (in Chinese)
(46) Zeng R S, S M Luo. 1995. Relationship between allelopathic effects of Bidens pilosa aqueous extracts and rainfall. J. South China Agri. Univ. 16(4):69-72.
(47) Zeng R S, S M Luo.1994. Study on allelopathic effects of Wedelia chinensis aqueous extraction. J. South China Agri. Univ. 15(4): 26-30. (in Chinese)
(48) Zeng R S, et. al.. 1994. Allelopathic effects and preliminary isolation of root exudates of Wedelia chinensis . Chinese J. Ecology. 13(1):51-56. (in Chinese)
(49) Zeng R S, Su Y J, Ye M, Xie L J, Chen M, Song Y Y. (2008). Plant induced defense and biochemical mechanisms. J. South China Agri. Univ. 29(2):1-4. (in Chinese)
(50) Huang J.H., *Zeng, R.S. Luo S.M. et al. Antifungus activity of DIMBOA from maize seedlings compared with several phenolic acids. Natural Product Research and Development. 2007. 19: 572-577.
Books and Chapters
(1) Zeng R S, Mallik A U, Luo S M. (eds). 2008. Allelopathy in Sustainable Agriculture and Forestry. Springer, New York, pp1-412 .
(2) Zeng R S, Luo S M (eds). 2004. Proceedings of International Symposium on Allelopathy Research and Application. South China Agricultural University. Sanshui, China. pp1-270.
(3) Zeng R S. Roles of allelochemicals induced by mycorrhizal fungi in disease resistance of plants. In "Allelochemicals: biological control of plant pathogen and diseases", Inderjit and K.G. Mukerji (Eds.) , Springer，Dordrecht，Netherlands, 2006， pp181-192.
(4) Zeng R S. 2001. Basic biological structure of agro-ecosystem. In "Agroecology", Luo S. M. (Ed.). Agriculture Press of China, Beijing, pp. 21-96. (In Chinese)
(5) Zeng R S. 2002. Community in Ecosystem. In "General Ecology", Cao C. G. (Ed.). Higher Education Press of China, Beijing, pp. 127-167. (In Chinese)
(6) Zeng R S. 2002. Information flow in ecosystem,. In "General Ecology", Cao C. G. (Ed.). Higher Education Press of China, Beijing, pp. 221-247. (In Chinese)